Teacher Life

1:40:00 PM

You know, everyone says there's noting quite like your very first own class. Now that I have been a fifth grade teacher for five weeks now, I can tell you that is absolutely true. Here's the thing: I love my job. I don't even care that I make half a teacher's salary. I truly love my job with all my heart. 


Now, I'm not saying I don't have hard days. I do. I'm not saying I never want to strangle some of my kids. I do. I'm not saying I don't stay up late writing lesson plans for my observations. I do that sometimes. I'm not saying my kids don't write all over their desks with Sharpie. One did. And let me add, that was not a fun experience for both of us. 

At first, I felt like I was swimming just to keep my head above water. I've always considered myself an organized person, but after working with my fifth grade team for a few days, I realized that I had a lot to learn. I still have a long way to go, but after five weeks on the job, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this whole teaching thing. I have already learned so much from my amazing team. I realize that I am so fortunate to be at a school with so much support. I am given so many resources and ideas to make my teaching better and easier, which ultimately makes my life easier as well!

Sometimes, my kids drive me crazy. Like when they ask to go to the bathroom five minutes before school ends. Or when they remind me that I have a stain on my shirt. Or when they say, "Where do I turn this in?" over and over, no matter how many times I tell them. But for the most part, I am overwhelmed with how much I enjoy my students. Like the girl who picks flowers for me every morning and sets them on my desk. Or when they all finally understand a concept I am teaching. Or when they tell me that my outfit is cute (major self esteem boost from ten-year-olds!) But especially when they say how much they love BYU. 

Say what you want about public education, I am loving this thing they call teaching. It's hard. But I think that's what is making it so fulfilling. I have never doubted my decision to be a teacher for one second. 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. AHHH love this post!!! Where are you interning?! I'm so excited and so scared to be in your shoes next year! 5th grade is my dream but it also terrifies me to no end. haha. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images