Summer 2015: California

7:25:00 PM

I am going to have to do my summer blogging in installments. What an amazing summer we had! Lendrum started medical school last month, so it was nice to take some fun trips before the crazy began. Our first stop on our travel plan: California, of course! We loved spending the week with my parents. They spoiled us!! Obviously, we hit up In-N-Out (*cue California stereotype) on the way home from the airport. Mmm! It can't be beat. 

One of our favorite and most memorable adventures was gong to the Dodgers/Mets game at Dodgers Stadium. We took the train from Pasadena to Olvera Street, where we did some shopping and had a legitimate Mexican meal. Then, we boarded the bus that took us to the stadium. Lendrum now has another baseball stadium to check off his list, which he was thrilled about. We met up with my aunt, uncle, and cousin and his fiancee (congrats Craig and Kenzie!). We had a lovely night at the ballpark with a stunning sunset over the LA hills. My dad pulled for the Mets and managed to make a few friends will fellow Mets fans. When it was time for the ride back to the train station, we arrived at the bus line to realize that it was extremely long. I am not exaggerating when I say we waited in line for the busses for an hour after the game ended. By the time we got back to the train station, it was about midnight and we still had a train ride back to Pasadena and then a drive home to Murrieta. We we good sports about it, for the most part. But what an exhausting day! We didn't get back from LA until about 2am. My parents deserve major props for their late-night-party factor there. 

How can I forget about the killer sting rays?? We went kayaking in Carlsbad with the folks and had quite an adventure. We thought we saw fins out toward the end of the bay. Sharks? Dolphins? Fish? None of the above. There was a group (school? herd? family?) of stingrays that were hanging out in the shallow end of the bay. I love sealife, so I wanted to get closer and take a look. Apparently, these stingrays do not like being bothered. With only a few inches of water beneath us, they started splashing their fins and darting under our kayaks! WE FREAKED OUT. Let me rephrase, My mom screamed. I screamed. My dad screamed. Lendrum screamed. They were out of control. It almost seemed like they were attacking us. All of a sudden, we'd see one pop out and smack his fins on the side of our kayak. We paddled away quickly and let them be. This wouldn't be our last encounter with stingrays this summer (see future post re: Belize). 

Other honorable mentions: We watched a cheetah run 70 miles per hour at the San Diego Safari Park. We also saw lions, gorillas, giraffes, CA condors, and lots of other animals. Lendrum and I spent a day at Disneyland just the two of us. Lendrum did not get sick and we got Dole Whips, so basically, the perfect day. We had a picnic on the beach in beautiful La Jolla, but were disappointed with the cloudy weather. I didn't even really get in the water. I guess I've been spoiled with the warm SC waters. But I just loved spending a whole week with my parents! Living out here in Charleston, I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. I am grateful we were able to take this trip and have a memorable week. Until next time, California! 

All-You-Can-Eat Korean BBQ? Yes, please!!

Because, who wouldn't love watching baby gorillas?

Cousin bonding at the Dodgers game!

If you have never had one of these, go to Disneyland RIGHT NOW.

First meal of choice? Obvious. 

Our attempts at a smile after getting off the train at 1am and still an hour to go.


post signature

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images